Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

5.22.2008

I Love The '90s


A reader asked to see more examples of library-living rooms. While I was searching for fresh images, I revisited the Nancy Goslee Power residence, circa early 1990s.


Power really composed a symphony of soft luscious color here, with a classic balance of light and dark notes. (Click images to enlarge and better see how she offset pastels with rich umber and black painted pieces.) For me, some of the elements scream the '90s: pale peachy-pink walls, the painted floor. But I've read that Power was actually inspired by the 1940s when she chose her palette. She definitely proves that it's possible to use multiple pieces of painted furniture in one room; if you look closely above you may spot a clay-red desk, black chairs, and a cream table.



Jennifer's beloved Brunschwig & Fils print, La Portugaise, makes an appearence too. And the furniture is supremely timeless and elegant. Magic comes, though, from those open French doors painted aqua. It's a fun room to analyze.

The top image above is from California Country: Interior Design, Architecture, and Style. All others are from House Beautiful Decorating Style, 1992 edition.

10 comments:

Cote de Texas said...

This is from the 90's ????!!! It really looks current, doesn't it? I love the peaches, very pretty!

Balsamfir said...

Its a lovely room. I wouldn't have known that peachy pink was a nineties color, since I was not looking at rooms in that era, although I have seen a number of those painted diamond floors, surviving from then. Isn't one of those chairs upholstered in that fabric mentioned elsewhere this week?

Style Court said...

Hi Balsamfir,

Jennifer did a post on the famous Brunschwig fabric, that's why I linked to her.

I think in the late '80s - early '90s pale peach-pink was pretty popular, as it was in the 1940s too.

Style Court said...

And Joni it could be late '80s. The pictures were published in my books in the 90s.

I think all the coral or orange tones with the brown sofa make it look kind of now too :)

Mrs. Blandings said...

My files are chocked full of tear sheets with painted floors like this one. In fact, I'm surprised I don't have this - it's right up my alley. You are tireless - two posts today, and I know you started late. Rest!

The Peak of Chic said...

I love this room; I've never seen it before. If you had not mentioned that it was decorated in the late 80s/early 90s, I would never have known!

Style Court said...

Jennifer, that's the ultimate compliment for Nancy Goslee Power. I agree with you -- so timeless.

Robin said...

House Beautiful's book, "Decorating with Books", may be what your reader is looking for. It has many wonderful images and information that may help her with ideas.

Easy and Elegant Life said...

How very inviting. A room to wile away a few hours in.

Poppy said...

This room is like exploring a lovely painting! Each time you look at it, another litte surprise jumps out! LOVE the aqua doors!