Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

4.22.2008

Speaking of Greek Key...


This tiny table is one of the first antiques I ever bought for myself. One Saturday, years ago, Carson and I spotted it on Bennett Street and I went back to look at it quite a few times. Then it seemed like a perfect first purchase -- character and elegance in a pint-size package that would fit nearly anywhere. (The top is about the size of placemat.)

I still love the looks of it, and its small scale has made it an ideal pretend "restaurant" table for my little niece. But now I know it is not as versatile as a piece like Mallory's chest. Since I do live in a small space, the table needs to perform a function; it always either has a lamp on top or a stack of books, and this hides the striking inlay that drew me to it originally. (And it feels a bit too delicate to serve as a stool.)

So if you are pondering a first investment, I recommend a small chest, with decorative interest on the front, that can be used as storage and in myriad other ways -- end table, bedside table, bar etc.


But back to Greek key. If you want to wow your mom this Mother's Day, wrap her gift with flat trim. Last Christmas I received a gift purchased from Coleen & Company. The wrapping, shown above, was exquisite. Atlanta's Lewis Sheron offers Greek key trim in many colors, priced about $10 per yard. (I know. This is for a luxurious touch.)

11 comments:

Paul Pincus said...

the table...what a terrific find...it's gorgeous!

Style Court said...

thanks paul!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - I love the table - and I tend to do the same thing. I develop the crush then circle back a few times until I commit.

Style Court said...

Crush is the right word Patricia! I just fell for the top and barley-twist legs, and it was attainable :)

Pigtown-Design said...

That's a sweet table!

Style Court said...

thanks meg!

Mélanie said...

I am a fan of greek trim , I could use it every where and not matter how much it costs , mon my own curtains in my living room I sew a greek trim from Declerck , and it was more expensive than the fabric . I'm very interested in the one you put the picture. I'm going to check their site.

Style Court said...

hi melanie - yes for trim this is very reasonable. Just kind of a splurge for gift wrap :)

Topsy Turvy said...

Great table! And Lewis Sheron looks like a wonderful resource. I've been looking for a nice Greek Key trim and this looks like it could be it.
Thanks!
=Lana

Style Court said...

thanks lana!

Kevin Graves said...

Ever since I saw Grant K. Gibson's work, I have been pining for drapes in my bedroom with a Greek Key edging. I have Spode Greek Key china and love it.