Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

4.29.2008

Instant Gratification


I love dining chairs with easily removable seats because they can usually be reupholstered quickly at home, DIY. And even if you do opt to have a pro recover them, the job is less costly than reupholstering a wing chair, for example, because less fabric is needed and the labor is not too complicated.


Currently I'm using a couple of my grandparents' klismos style chairs at a small table for two. Over the years they've sported quite a few different colors and patterns. Now I think they are ready for Rubie Green's eco-friendly chevron, "East Village," in raspberry.

The zig-zag pairs well with the dominant print in the room, Brunschwig & Fils' "Dzhambul."


In a very indirect way, I was inspired by architect Gil Schafer's use of a zebra print on his Regency era klismos chairs.



Oh, and speaking of zig-zag, don't forget the Madeline Weinrib sample sale in NYC starting May 2 at ABC Carpet & Home.

15 comments:

In(side) the Loop said...

that print will look fantastic! and i love it with your other fabric. post pics of your final outcome!

Style Court said...

thanks inside the loop!

Louisa said...

A great choice! Similar to Krista Ewart's bedroom shown in Domino but I like the use of the eco-friendly Rubie Green fabrics! What do they RG fabrics feel like - are they lightweight? Smooth? Durable?

Please post pics of the chairs when you're finished with the transformation!

Style Court said...

louisa,

great memory! very much like krista ewart's bedroom :)

yes, the RG fabrics feel durable to me. thick enough to cover my seats but not too bulky. they feel soft too. as michelle notes, they are not washable and if used for curtains, might need to be lined depending on personal preference.

Style Court said...

oh and the fabrics feel smooth but with a nice canvas-like hand.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - I've done a lot of staple-gun recovering in my day - it's even better than painting. No mess!

Louisa said...

Good to know, thanks! The RG fabrics look great and it's nice to know that they feel great, too! :)

LondonCalling said...

East village coordinates so nicely with your drambuzl

Style Court said...

thanks for the input london!

Cote de Texas said...

I agree with London. the two fabrics looks fabulous! I vote - yes!!!! go for it. I love the new fabric, it's so great. Plus - looking at the antique stores above - hmmmm - I see quite a few items I would happily take off their hands.

Style Court said...

oh joni, so glad you think it works! you would enjoy the shop above too :)

MABELLE said...

How fun it is to read all your RG comments! Thank you! Courtney- I can't wait to see the completed chairs! Thanks again for choosing my fabrics :)

And btw, Rubie Green uses the same organic cotton upholstery fabric that Lee Industries uses to upholster their green pieces, so you can rest assured that it's durable ;)

simply seleta said...

Simply smitten with that combo. Love red! Show pics when you're done.

Anna Spiro said...

Love the zig zig on your chairs - a perfect choice!!
XXX
Anna

Style Court said...

glad you think so anna! thanks.