Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

3.25.2008

More on Mallory and Those Walls



This is a good week for Atlanta-based designer Mallory Mathison. Apart from being named one of the domino 10, her traditional-meets-chic Peachtree Road residence is expected to be featured in the AJC's Sunday home and garden section. I think the coverage will inspire anyone who dwells in a small space.


Mathison's style epitomizes that youthful Southern look I've been talking about this month. In her bedroom she liberally used an oh-so-trad Scalamandre linen floral, "Bantry House" in Aqua (if you've seen the latest Vogue Living you know this also very "now") but balanced the feminine print with rich faux lacquered espresso walls inspired by her heroes Billy Baldwin and Miles Redd.


Baldwin was legendary for using deep dark walls in tiny spaces. And this Redd-designed room above, published in Southern Accents, specifically influenced Mathison.

She says, "The bedroom was actually an experiment. I have always loved lacquer, loved the way Billy Baldwin used lacquer on walls, furniture, lamps, lampshades -- anything! I wanted to try it out in my teeny little condo and so I decided to do it in the bedroom, because it was the space with the most natural light and I could off-set the deep espresso-brown with light linens and porcelains."


"I used Farrow and Ball's "Mahogany" paint in full oil gloss to achieve a sort of "faux lacquer" effect -- of course not the same [as the real thing] but it worked and was a fraction of what it would cost to have the walls professionally lacquered."

By the way, her ceiling is a soft aqua. So all of her painted surfaces reflect light.


Mathison does doubt she would ever do such dark walls for her clients. She adds, "More likely in an entry, dining room or library -- very dramatic and rich!"

On blanc de chine (a French term usually reserved for all-white Chinese porcelain) she says she is especially obsessed with white porcelain Asian figures. "I pick them up wherever I can, estate sales, antique shops, etc. I have also started collecting lamps, vases -- anything in white. They are just so pretty and create amazing contrast against dark surfaces -- delightful!"

Be sure to look for editor Katie Leslie's piece this weekend in the AJC!


Related reading: Blanc De Chine: Divine Images in Porcelain

6 comments:

The Peak of Chic said...

I always love looking at a designer's home b/c that is where a designer really takes chances and tests out daring ideas!

Style Court said...

Oh Jennifer, so true!

I actually hope some of Mallory's future clients will consider bedroom walls like this. Her mix of feminine and masculine could be great for a couple.

Cote de Texas said...

Honey, I AM in love! Gorgeous. And what a great idea for a faux lacquer wall. I just emailed this picture to a client who always wanted a dark lacquered bedroom with toile!!!

Teacats said...

Gorgeous! We did high-gloss white walls here in tiny Rosemary Cottage -- and it worked sooo well! But the dark walls look amazing -- in a bedroom OR a dining room too!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

ALL THE BEST said...

I just love Mallory's room! I'm guessing that it is even more beautiful in person than it is in photos!

avidaland said...

I love the rooms you posted. They are so beautiful. That is so pretty - very much like the color in our bedroom. I think that color is so calming. Thank you so much.

condo in Philippines