Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

3.28.2008

Adventurous Spirit: Mrs. Tependris




I leave you with the grand salon of globe-trotting, art-collecting, adventure-seeking Mrs. Tependris. Created by artist Konstantin Kakanias, she's the stylish illustrated character who searches for enlightenment.


This opulent room represents her past. Notice the walls painted -- or papered -- with a chinoiserie motif? The animal prints and the masses of Asian vases? Most of all I love how Kakanias has interpreted the numerous French chairs as almost abstract little blips of color.

All images above from Mrs. Tependris: The Contemporary Years: The Adventures of An Art Collector.

14 comments:

Katherine said...

I love these Kakanias illustrations! They are fantastic and remind me of Jacqueline Duheme 's in _Mrs. Kennedy Goes Abroad_, which I ordered per your post! You have such a great eye!

Style Court said...

Katherine,
Great to hear from a fellow fan! Thanks for the kind words.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Absolutely charming - I bet the magnifying glass got a bit of use!

elisabeth said...

(Squeal!) These illustrations are awesome.

elisabeth said...

And again (my apologies)... the scale of the chairs and the lady in her house dress with a crazy bouffant, I love it. It feels a bit like Eloise to me.

Style Court said...

Elisabeth,
Glad you like his work too :)

Patricia,
It definitely did.

Rikkianne said...

I LOVE this! She reminds me a bit of Maira Kalman.

pve design said...

I know I had sent a comment, and it read;
I'd be lying if I said I did not like them, and you'd know because my nose would suddenly grow long, like her drawing.
Love the eccentric flair.
Inspiring.

beachbungalow8 said...

this art is so inspiring. thank you!

Style Court said...

So glad everyone is inspired!

{this is glamorous} said...

The illustrations are fantastic and definitely inspiring!

Alya said...

'oh the suffocation, the claustrophobia' Indeed!

the illustrations resemble those of a children's book. Interesting :)

ALL THE BEST said...

Just wonderful Courtney!!

Paul Pincus said...

Stunning!