Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

1.13.2008

Smokey Blue and Amethyst



I have a dim memory that Domino once designed a room inspired by a John Singer Sargent painting, so I won't go down that road. But I will highlight a few timeless elements from the artist's iconic portrait of Lady Agnew, above: smokey blue-green Asian silk, French chair upholstered in a refined floral, and lilac and amethyst tones juxtaposed with blue.

Painted in 1892, the work now belongs to the National Gallery of Scotland, Edinburgh. Even Lady Agnew's jewelry is enduring enough for the Museum to sell similar styles in its gift shop.




Grayish blue with magenta or amethyst hues is also very "now." Case in point: Rashida Jones' petite studio apartment photographed by Paul Costello for Domino, February 2008.

11 comments:

Bayou Contessa said...

Courtney,
I have always loved this Sargent portrait as much for the beautiful dark haired, fair-skinned beauty as for the dreamy soft turquoise background and the rendering of the french chair covered in the beautiful floral fabric. You are right, this combination of hues is so visually satisfying and timeless. This is a beautiful post.
Julie

Style Court said...

Thanks Julie. Love your description of the portrait.

Turquoise Chic said...

I NEVER get my Domino magazine on time so I'm so excited to see this preview of the February issue! I am totally loving Rashida Jones' apartment! I really like her sense of style and so it is no wonder that her home is every bit as chic as she is. :)

Mackenna said...

1. do you remember the domino turn this painting into a room they did with the Sargent painting!? looooved that room
2. i am always so amazed at people who live ridiculously stylish existences in the such tiny iny places... 400 sq ft can you imagine.

Style Court said...

Mackenna,

I also love to see really tiny but chic homes. This studio is just great! And, well, clearly I remembered Domino did the Sargent-inspired room but I can't place it :(

{this is glamorous} said...

The John Singer Sargent portrait has been a long-time favourite, and I love how you've paired it with Rashida Jones' studio--the colour combination is beautiful!

halcyon said...

First of all, thanks for posting that Sargent paining. His is one of my favorite painters.

I heartily agree with you about blue gray and amethyst. Our dining room is called Martha Stewart "Rolling Smoke" a blue gray, and I have just found the perfect amethyst hurricanes.

Chopin Girl said...

Does anyone know where her sofa is from? Or what kind of sofa that is?

Style Court said...

Chopin,
I'm guessing vintage or antique French but I'll go back and check. Please come back Wednesday!

Style Court said...

Calico Corners has some similar options. Anthropologie's Amelie sofa has those Louis-XV-style legs but not the same back at all, or the loose cushions. I think a vintage find would be great. Still searching...

Anonymous said...

It was certainly interesting for me to read that post. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.