Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

12.19.2007

Anticipation





Every year I dream of having an abundance of paper whites blooming at once. Of course, never have I had the bounty seen in Antony Todd's arrangement, above in silver. And rarely do I have even several pots going at once, as Sue Balmforth does, above in the urns. I'm lucky to have more than one bulb blooming in just one pot. Still, I'm always optimistic.



What are your favorite holiday flowers? This year I'm also growing an ultra dark red amaryllis. Maybe it will be blooming by Valentine's.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love paperwhites, but hate the smell!

Zaya said...

How do they do it? I have three bulbs going in one large pot...
1 is tall and blooming well, the next is blooming but about half the height, and the third is well teeny tiny and I'm not sure if it will bloom at all...

I'd love to get an arrangement like all the ones in the silver container... I'll have to make due with what little activity I'm getting from mine though...

Style Court said...

Zaya, I know! How do they do it? I've heard something about vodka?

Pigtown-Design said...

I have a pot with four bulbs in my office windowsill! They're about 2" so far.

The Peak of Chic said...

I'm STILL waiting for my amaryllis to bloom (after many weeks!!!). I couldn't wait on the paperwhites so bought some that were already blooming. (My husband detests the smell of paperwhites. Don't understand why!)