Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

7.22.2007

That Orange Box


Above, this set of four Hermes boxes is currently available on eBay.



Above, I think I spot an orange Hermes gift box discreetly placed on the bottom of Schuyler Samperton's bookcase; photograph by Grey Crawford for Elle Decor, November 2003.

Below, Princess Grace carries "the Kelly," the legendary Hermes bag named for her; image from a July 2007 Harper's Bazaar
spread celebrating the 170th anniversary of Hermes.



Iconic orange Hermes boxes used for display storage: cool or contrived? A few years ago, Elle Decor featured a room where masses of these chic boxes were exhibited on open shelves. (The homeowner happily admitted that many of the boxes had been found on eBay.) Since then, I've noticed the fashionable containers popping-up in room after room. Personally, I love the signature orange with brown trim, not to mention the subtle nod to Grace Kelly. But do you think use of the boxes as accessories could become ubiquitous, like status shoes "casually" dropped on the floor and Taschen's oft-seen Cabinet of Natural Curiosities? Or are some items just classics?

(BTW: I'll confess that I once bought a bundle of Hermes ribbon at an antique market.)

Below, included just for fun, a framed vintage Hermes scarf in Ivanka Trump's Park Avenue apartment, originally decorated by Emma Jane Pilkington, and published in House & Garden, January 2005.

14 comments:

The Peak of Chic said...

Good question! I personally think it's a classic look, but only when used with restraint. I have three smallish ones that I display, but I don't plan on displaying any more than that (although I would welcome more in my closet!).

robyn said...

What a great post, I'll share this with my 14 year old daughter who drags me into Hermes to look at everything... she'll love the orange boxes too~ thanks :)

style court said...

Jennifer, I'm sure your display is truly "the peak of chic!" Thanks for the tip.

style court said...

Robyn,

Let us know if your daughter decides to buy any (from eBay or from the shop with goods inside :)

girl meets glamour said...

I love Hermes anything!!! Great post Courtney. I infact bought a few Hermes boxes from Ebay as well. They really are the perfect accessory

ALL THE BEST said...

Good question...I love my orange Hermes box and my blue Tiffany boxes, but I keep them in a drawer...hmmm...I'd love to hear what others have to say.

a. said...

A few years ago my mother was cleaning house and didn't want her Hermes scarf boxes so I sold them on eBay...now I am sorry I did. She has another stack but I think I am going to hold onto them! I have one sitting on my bureau but it's only because there is a scarf in it from the spring that I haven't bothered to move :-)

Mim said...

I have to admit I own a couple of those orange boxes, but the items I bought are stored in them, so I can't use them for decorating. I shamefully have over 20 Tiffany blue boxes and while I can't bare the thought of throwing them (or their pretty white ribbon) away, I'm not allowed to display them, as my family believes that not only is it pretentious (despite that I love the colour) but that it will alert potential thieves that if they look hard enough they will find over 20 tiffany items ripe for stealing around the house.

tiffany said...

Is is just me, or have you noticed those Hermes blankets everywhere too? Like Kelly Wearstler used in her son's room. I'm dying for one of those but I'd settle for anything Hermes really....even just a box!

patriciagrayinc.com said...

I think that if you have them and you love them go ahead and display them in appropriate locations. I have been framing some scarves for clients and I consider the Hermes scarves to be works of art in themselves. When you are wearing them you never get to see the whole design. Great thought provoking post.

kcdesign said...

oh, the bundle of ribbons - I'd rather have that.

Laura said...

This is a great question, because displaying them as status symbols and because of loving the color, shape, etc. are kind of two different things. I save all kinds of boxes and display them if I think they're attractive... this includes two zebra-print gift boxes from Old Navy, so I guess you could say I'm not going for the "status" tag there!

Joanie said...

I have been searching high and low for a 9.5" x 9.5" orange Hermes scarf box to replace one that I accidentally sat on. I even went as far as writing Robert Chavez, CEO of Hermes in New York but alas, he wrote back saying they can't do it, regardless of circumstances. Can you please help me?

Style Court said...

Hi Joanie -- all I know to do is search eBay, other online auctions, and antique shops. Sorry!