Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

7.30.2007

Family Photos


Above, India Hicks' dining room photographed by Arthur Elgort for Vogue; Sittings Editor, Hamish Bowles.

"There are no rules in decorating," Margaret Russell once said. Decorators do tend to contradict each other -- and themselves -- quite often. I've noticed this after years of reading design books and shelter mags.

Currently, some opposing views are presented in Domino's August issue; editors constructively share diverse opinions from top designers and look for areas of agreement. On page 53, the hot button topic, "where to put the family photos," is tackled. Sixty percent are vehement about keeping the pictures in private areas and forty percent say "display tastefully." (Tastefully being subjective.) So, I couldn't resist posting this image of India Hicks' fabulous, family-photo-laden dining room.

Hicks says that her dad, legendary David Hicks, advised never hanging photographs. Hence the shelves. She does have her black-and-white pictures grouped together, but otherwise India seems to prove that, in decorating, flair trumps the rules.

6 comments:

katiedid said...

Great post! I agree with Mr. Hicks. Family photos on shelves or furniture, and Fine Photography on walls. What a great way India Hicks has solved the issue!

The Peak of Chic said...

I don't really know how I feel about displaying photos. I have an aversion to hanging them on walls- I really don't know why. I have seen this done in homes to great effect. I really like how Hicks displayed hers, but I don't think I could pull that look off :)

ALL THE BEST said...

I have always been in the ‘keep family pictures in private areas’ camp, but I do love India's, family-photo-laden dining room. Very stylish!

Anonymous said...

How funny. Before I read this post or the August Domino, I decided to put away all of my framed family photographs (except for an oversized bulletin board in the kitchen). My living room instantly looks more sophisticated.

laura said...

I think family photos give life and personality to a space, so I woudln't relegate them to private spaces only. Agreed that when they're not edited or displayed well, the overall look is more of a jumble than a statement, so it's important to choose wisely and display artfully. I love India Hicks' approach.

Anna said...

I personally agree with Laura but I do think it is such a very personal thing whether to have photos on display or only in private areas. I do adore the way that India Hicks has displayed her beautiful photographs!
XO
Anna