Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

7.24.2007

Chinoiserie in Small Doses




Interior design, Mary McDonald, as seen in House Beautiful, October 2002.

I've always liked how Mary McDonald used low doses of chinoiserie in the relaxed pool house above. One of my favorite pieces is the black-lacquered box on the coffee table. Serious collectors can find similar antique chinoiserie boxes at The Gables Antiques, on Miami Circle in Atlanta. Below is an exquisite example: a 19th-century box from England with ivory ball feet (price: $3100.)



Less expensive, not-so-old options can often be found at flea markets and through online shops such as Wisteria.

Related reading: Chinoiserie

4 comments:

Fairfax said...

I have found some "faux" chinoiserie boxes that are actually tins... they're beautifully decorated and cheap!

Suzy said...

I agree, Mary McDonald does subtle chinoiserie very well.

Cote de Texas said...

I love this house by Mary. It's one of my favorites of hers. The first "real" antique I ever bought was a sewing box very similar to this one. Many years ago I paid $500 for it at an antique show and that was over my budget to be sure.


Joni

The Peak of Chic said...

This house is a favorite of mine too, and you made a good point about the low-key chinoiserie accents.