Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

7.14.2007

Best in Show





Photography above, Quentin Bacon for Southern Accents. I thought Angele Parlange's use of these old trophies on a game-themed table was especially pretty.

Designer Angele Parlange (a descendant of Virginie Amelie Gautreau, John Singer Sargent's infamous "Madame X") is known for incorporating her heritage into her decor. But for antique trophies, she told Southern Accents that her best sources are auctions and antique shops, not the family attic. Parlange favors off-beat awards, like the 1949 "Best Bird" presented by the English Poultry Association.

In Atlanta, old silver trophies sometimes pop-up at Providence, and Interiors Market, and I've seen them on eBay. A few of the really pretty inscribed silver pieces are actually bowls or compotes, similar to the jewelry catch-all on my table below. Mine was a gift, but if you're lucky enough to have a trophy that belonged to a grandparent, why not find a way to use it everyday?



Below, Anna Spiro, a talented interior designer based in Australia, recently incorporated her husband's heirloom tennis trophies into a bookshelf display. I believe the trophies were awarded to his great-great-aunt.




Above, layers of meaning: Katie's very elegant vignette with her dad's sailing trophy.

For more on "Madame X" see Strapless.

9 comments:

Anna said...

Courtney, I can't believe that your are talking about trophies! I was recently cleaning out a cupboard at home in which I found 2 old silver trophies which belonged to my husband's grandmother's auty which she won for tennis and I just love them. I pulled them out and put them into a display in some bookshelves I have and they look so beautiful mixed with my shells and other bits and pieces. I was also thrilled to be able to use something from my husbands family as I think some men don't really have anything or care for things like this so much - it's the woman with all the things - well that seems to be the case with my husband anyway!! Thanks for posting about this topic and I love the gorgeous pictures as usual.
XO
Anna

style court said...

Anna,

This is great! Thanks so much for sharing. Did I forget some pictures you may have posted on ABT? I'll have to go back and check.

BTW: I SO agree about your comment on men and things!

xo
Courtney

Anna said...

I'll email you a picture of my bookshelf with the trophies - they are only small ones but still they are fantastic - to me anyway!
XO
Anna

Anna said...

Thank you Courtney!
XO
Anna

katiedid said...

Hi Courtney! I love family trophies to! My dad was an avid sailor, and collected many a trophy in his day. I have alot of silver bowls and such that I use all of the time. I put shells and coral in mine just like Anna!

style court said...

Katie,

How cool. Layers of meaning for your home!

The Peak of Chic said...

Seeing that I'm not from a family of athletes, we don't have any tropies! I do, however, like to find old silver bowls and compotes on Ebay! (And I really like how Anna and Katie have incorporated their trophies into their vignettes.)

katiedid said...

Hi Courtney! Thank you for the post!:)

frances said...

i have some of my dad and grandfather's sailing trophies and i love them! they mix in so well with some of my more modern things!