Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

6.25.2007

Blog Buzz: Anne Harwell and Nancy Drew





Above, mirror images: Anne Harwell's delicate rendering of a Louis XV bergere, top, and what appears to be her inspiration, below, an orange-upholstered chair from Pieces, which is now sold.

Have you seen Anne Harwell's lovely work featured recently on design blogs including: Absolutely Beautiful Things, decor8, Unruly Things, and Design News Blog? Her portraits of rooms and chairs seem to follow in the tradition of Mark Hampton (see Bibliostyle for more on Hampton's work) but she has her own fresh vibe.

Harwell's room paintings also remind me of renderings that decorator Charlotte Moss collects and groups on walls in her homes. (Visit New York Social Diary to see her NYC residence.) Since Harwell accepts commissions, I'm already tempted to have her paint my "Imperial Trellis" chair--if I ever finish it.

Changing the subject to Billy Haines and Chinoiserie, Leah of More Ways to Waste Time wrote a great post today on the sets in the new Nancy Drew movie. Check it out.

Also of interest: Parzinger rendering.

12 comments:

a. said...

The kids across the street went to see the movie today but I doubt they were interested in the sets. However, I am!

katiedid said...

I have been seeing these paintings here and there lately. Very talented arist who has found a great niche!

annechovie said...

I happened upon your blog today by accident while reading one of your comments posted on Absolutely Beautiful Things. I clicked on your name and was startled (and delighted) to find one of my paintings featured. Thank you so much for your very kind comments! I have to give you credit for being quite the sleuth - you are correct! The photo from Pieces did inspire me! I love their stuff! I think your blog is delightful and have added it to my favorites as of today, as well as a mention on my Etsy page.

P.S. I would love the commission of your Wearstler-upholstered chair once it's finished. That fabric just happens to be one of my faves! All the best and continued success!

The Peak of Chic said...

I love Anne's work- it's so fresh and colorful. You should def. commission a painting of your chair!

beachbungalow8 said...

i love these paintings too! so whimsical and sophisticated.

frances said...

so cool! i missed a lot of good stuff last week...

Julie at BV said...

Those are preety nice painting Anne Harwell does. I've seen them around a lot lately. Thanks for the link I never get enough of beautiful things.

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful! So refreshing to see "real", hand-done paintings in a day when many try to pass off computer-generated art as the real thing!

sbaz said...

It's refreshing to see such original, quality pieces from Anne. Who knew there was such talent hiding in Sarasota!

the NEO-traditionalist said...

Love Harwell's work---especially this lovely orange chair! Definitely seems to be a nod to the work of Hampton. Love, love, love.
XXX Kate

Anonymous said...

yeah.. thanks for style ))

james francisco said...

Thanks for this! I love the color and designs of the chair, I am now thinking of some renovation and redesigning our home.