Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

6.03.2007

Attracted to the Same Things



Above, my bench was upholstered early 2006 in Brunschwig & Fils'"Dzhambul." Note the natural pink starfish on the books.


Above, Krista Ewart's bedroom, with bench covered in Brunschwig & Fils'"Dzhambul," photographed by Melanie Acevedo for Domino, June/July 2007.


Above, original incarnation of Krista Ewart's bedroom, photographed by Stephanie Diani for The New York Times.

To a few friends, my living room bench upholstered in Brunschwig & Fils'"Dzhambul," is sort of known as "Courtney's signature." (This linen-cotton print is one of my all-time favorites.) But I think from this month on, the piece will be viewed as "the Krista Ewart bench," because of the fab feature on her home in the latest Domino. The suzani-inspired print was actually featured on a pouf two years ago, in the premiere issue of the magazine, and Anne Coyle used the lush fabric on a sofa published in O at Home, spring 2005. Still, Krista's bedroom is such a stand-out; I flipped for the room when I first saw it in The New York Times-- love it even more with the "Dzhambul" bench.

Below, see the pink starfish on Ewart's coffee table.


Photograph, Melanie Acevedo for Domino, June/July 2007.

BTW: Vanessa, owner of the chic Venice, California showroom, Turquoise, was right. When my copy of Domino finally arrived, it did not disappoint! Definitely a must-see.

14 comments:

a. said...

Love the pink starfish!

I haven't received my copy of Domino yet!!!

The Peak of Chic said...

Perhaps you and Krista are kindred souls! I do love that Brunschwig fabric. And the pink starfish, too!

Turquoise said...

I knew you would enjoy it...the issue is right up your alley!

katiedid said...

Great issue, I agree. Courtney, I love your place! I wish for white upholstery, but with a black dog and kids, it is not to be.

style court said...

Thanks Katie!

Janet said...

So glad your Domino finally arrived! And bearing such goodness. I loved seeing your bench. Must be the month for benches...! I just finished redoing mine.

style court said...

Janet,
I loved seeing your bench too :)

Anna said...

Love your room and especially the fabric on your ottoman.
XO
Anna

style court said...

Thanks Anna!

xo
Courtney

Anonymous said...

what about the navy and wite pillow on your sofa..where can I find??

style court said...

Hi Anon,

That pillow was made-up from a small amount of Lulu Dk's "Chant" in chocolate, (http://luludk.com) but also if you're interested Ballard Designs used to have a very similar pattern -- I think maybe in blue, and Calico Corners may have a similar fabric as well. I'll double check.

Courtney

style court said...

Ballard Designs (www.ballarddesigns.com) does have a pattern called "Ikat Blue Fabric," currently on sale for about $15 per yard. It is very similar to Lulu Dk's "Chant" but not a super dark blue -- more of a deep mid-tone.

The "Chant" pillow on my sofa is actually dark, dark, brown.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! I found the Lulu Dk's "Chant" and they have one in royal blue (looking for blue). Is this fabric only available to the trade? I would love to get a bit to make a similar style pillow as yours. Do you know if it's possible?

style court said...

Anon,

"Chant" is a trade fabric but there is a site I read about in the NY Times, http://decoratorsbest.com, that sells Lulu DK to the public. I think you will be able to get whatever color you need through this decorator's online business. (note: personally I've not purchased through her before.)

Also, I did see a Calico Corners ad with a very similar pattern, and again there's the Ballard option.

Good Luck!!