Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

4.28.2007

Adventurous Spirit: Providence










Above, glimpses inside a truly unique Atlanta boutique, Providence. Below, Providence windows are distinct among Atlanta shops because of their old-school-with-an-edge decoration. Second glances usually reveal an unexpected element.





Below, one of my Providence finds, a hand-printed 1920s French wallpaper sample.




If a shop can have a spirit, Providence Antiques has an adventurous one. The mood here is distinctly international. Literally, the shop is overflowing with owner Claudia Thompson's finds brought back from jaunts to Italy, estate sales, and antique fairs across the U.S. One of her strengths is spotting wonderful old original paintings and drawings. So, Providence is a must-visit if you are looking for interesting art at accessible prices.

Lovely and quirky gifts abound too. Whether you want something priced under $30, under $50, under $100, or over $1,000, there are things here that you are unlikely to find elsewhere. Also in-store are amazing mirrors, chandeliers, lanterns and French furniture. Providence is located in Morningside at 1409 North Highland Ave. (After a shopping excursion stop by Alon's for something sweet.)

BTW: Congrats to two of my other favorite haunts, Interiors Market and Pieces, for inclusion in the May Domino.

Providence is open everyday, even Sundays and Mondays, but typically opens at 11:30 a.m. during the week. I suggest calling to confirm morning and evening hours: (404) 872-7551. Pets and babies welcome, but pathways are very narrow.

14 comments:

mohairpink said...

This store looks looks like I could get lost there for hours! I love your wallpaper sample. I can feel the wheels begining to turn...

style court said...

Glad if this inspired you Pink!

The Peak of Chic said...

Courtney- I have got to get myself over there- I've never been! It looks like a fantastic shop. I love those "grotto" chairs in the window. Thanks for this!

style court said...

POC,
It's quite an achievement for me to show you something new in Atlanta! The shop is an adventure. Open Sundays, but on weekdays usually not open until 11:30.

Hope you enjoy it!

Sara said...

Congrats to you as well for Time's "The Style and Design 100: Blogwatch"! That is an amazing and well-deserved honor, Courtney!

style court said...

Thanks Sara!

Laura said...

I look forward to stopping by this shop when I visit my sister in Atlanta! Thanks Courtney.

Anna said...

This store looks beautiful - if I lived in Atlanta I would be there as soon as the doors opened today!! Very inspiring! Thanks for showing Courtney.
XO
Anna

Lindsey said...

I would spend way too much money in there. Thanks Courtney for sharing! And by the looks of it...I believe a congrats is in order for Style and Design 100 Blogwatch!

style court said...

Thanks Lindsey! You are kind.

wisterianyc said...

Thanks Courtney! I'm may be taking a trip to Atlanta in the next week and will def. check this store out. Love the mix.

style court said...

Wisteria NYC,
Hope you enjoy your visit!
Cheers,
Courtney

Avril said...

Thank you for sharing, this shop looks my cup of tea. Pity I live in Australia! I will keep it in mind if I ever travel to Atlanta!

** Terramia ** said...

Looks like a wonderful place to pitter patter and admire...