Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

3.30.2007

Red Lantern



It's not a done-to-the-nines decorator bedroom, but Miranda Brooks's understated bedroom, as featured in Bright Young Things, is one of the most magical I've ever seen. The tall mirror and large chandelier are the elegant star players; simple curtains and a bedspread with embroidered red poppies by Brigitte Singh bring warmth and charm.

Brooks says her whimsical red Chinese lantern was inspired by the film, The Red Lantern. But I've never been able to track down a movie with that title -- only Raise the Red Lantern. The latter 1991 movie is considered to be among the most visually stunning films ever made -- and the plot revolves around red lanterns and bedrooms -- so it seems logical to me that this could be the title Brooks meant. But I've always wondered. Does anyone know the 411?

6 comments:

nomita said...

I, too, love this room. I am obsessed with Brigitte Singh whose hand blocked fabrics are without compare. She has a small workshop in Jaipur, India, where she copies 16th and 17th century Mughal designs for her line of fabric, curtains, beds. She was also just mentioned in the April issue of "Domino."

nomita said...

I, too, love this room. I am obsessed with Brigitte Singh whose hand blocked fabrics are without compare. She has a small workshop in Jaipur, India, where she copies 16th and 17th century Mughal designs for her line of fabric, curtains, beds. She was also just mentioned in the April issue of "Domino."

style court said...

Nomita,
Thanks for your comment! I've always wanted to learn more about Brigitte Singh's work. I think a company called Aleta textiles, www.aletaonline.com, offers some of Singh's fabric.
Courtney

Anonymous said...

I think this might be the movie:
http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:107448

Janet Egan said...

Hi:
Is it possible to visit Brigette Singh's workshop in Jaipur? Where is it located? How can one buy her products wholesale?
Janet Egan
eganjs@comcast.net

Style Court said...

Hi Janet -- I think Aleta is the main distributor:

http://aletaonline.infodine.com/

Not sure at this point about workshop tours...