Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

3.29.2007

Charlotte Moss



Above, a Charlotte Moss-designed apartment photographed by Paul Costello for the April Domino.

When it comes to creating a sense of feminine luxury, Charlotte Moss is the master. If you had one chance to work with a dream decorator, would you choose a hot wunderkind or a seasoned pro like Moss?




Shown above, September 2004 House & Garden cover featuring de Gournay chinoiserie "jardinieres & citrus trees" on dark blue dyed silk for the walls and curtains in Charlotte Moss's dining room.

There's so much buzz about the opening next month of The Charlotte Moss Townhouse, a sumptuous retail emporium located in a five-story Manhattan landmark. Aside from shopping, and Design Atelier offerings such as custom-colored silk wall panels from de Gournay, the Townhouse is expected to offer inspiration. I've always thought the close-up image of Moss's own de Gournay-swathed dining room, above, made for one of the most striking House & Garden covers ever.

13 comments:

Anna said...

I agree with you - A beautiful cover!

Louise said...

I'm going to NYC in July and I've already got the new CM townhouse address tucked into my suitcase! I will be like a child on Christmas morning :)

style court said...

Louise, I envy you! It should be amazing.

The Peak of Chic said...

Yes, truly a beautiful cover. I'm really intrigued by the Townhouse concept. I never visited her old shop.
PS- Style Court, you'll be interested in this. A friend of a friend spied Moss and her assistants at Scott's a few months ago and they were loading up on stuff, such as creamware. Possibly for the Townhouse???

Gypsy Purple said...

Oh wow...yes a beautiful cover and a great site!!!

style court said...

Hmmm...very interesting that Moss was at Scott's!

Anna said...

After seeing your post on this yesterday I had a look at Charlotte Moss's site and I saved those 2 images you have just added at the top to my files. I just loved them - in particular the image of the dressing table things. Gorgeous. I love this townhouse concept also. I read through the entire website - it sounds amazing.

style court said...

Oh good Anna! I'm so glad the site inspired you. Charlotte Moss is fascinating!

Jennifer Ramos said...

loved this one!

Jennifer Ramos
Madebygirl.com
**************************
YOU'RE INVITED TO VIEW AND COMMENT ON MY BLOG:
http://madebygirl.blogspot.com

Mackenna said...

I love shagreen and after I saw those boxes in the issue I set out find some but no luck yet. Have you ever seen shagreen (faux or otherwise) in the bright colours like that?

Aside from that love that apartment! I am always so jealous of the young people who get to work with such awesome designers (paging Nick Olsen).

style court said...

MacKenna,
Sometimes Ruzzetti and Gow has great colors:
http://www.ruzzettiandgow.com

and I think Pieces (www.piecesinc.com) had some similar boxes a while back. I'll keep an eye out :)

suzannemarques said...

I love the muted colors, the purples and blues look so elegant and warm!

jen said...

as you can imagine - I was smitten with that spead in domino!