Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

2.23.2007

Fashion House






Photography above, Pieter Estersohn; interiors Kim Zimmerman, as seen in the May-June 2006 issue of Southern Accents

Bold Elsa Schiaparelli fashion prints (shown above top) were the jumping-off point for interior designer Kim Zimmerman when she decorated this femme but not fussy Atlanta loft for herself and her baby daughter. Zimmerman, who once worked for Michael Kors and Bill Blass, told Southern Accents, "My living room is like a classic suit worn with an outrageous shirt. I covered pillows with vintage Pucci scarves and mixed them with a traditional sofa and antique French chairs." What a great metaphor.

For more on Schiaparelli see Shocking! The Art and Fashion of Elsa Schiaparelli. For more on 20th-century photography, including high fashion pictures, try Chorus of Light: Photographs from the Sir Elton John Collection. Also, Lizzie over at Design Watcher recently posted some great reissued Vera scarves, available through Auto, that could be made into pillows or framed.

3 comments:

Fairfax said...

I remember this article! I like the eclectic stylings that are there.

Alyssa said...

Love, love, love Schiaparelli. When I had my other blog I posted a Schiaparelli brooch I have...she's wonderful and wacky. Great book too!

Anonymous said...

i too love the schiaparelli. i tried to buy a beautiful dress pattern on ebay but gave up when it went over $75...oh well! evrything looks beautiful and i enjoyed my visit as always. amy